Tuesday 12 May 2009

confessional modes



I must confess that I am quite fascinated with all your different backgrounds, processes and desires that fuel the practices.
For me performing - or have someone to perform with me or for me - has always been a process of being with others. Of connecting with people and connecting to people. Even if it is just for a brief encounter. I must say that I hardly work with people with whom I don't have or I don't engage in a personal relationship. Affect, as a human bond, is something that is part of my work. That affectual relationship can be in the present time - be happening now - or it can be in the past - as a memory, as a reposition of something that was hidden or erased. I am always both terrified and attracted by the sheer vulnerability of performing. Because I am not pretending to be someone other than myself. I really am there being myself. And I never quite know what can happen, and I like to allow space for things that I cannot predict, to improvisation, to decide and change things now, as things are occurring. Maybe it is too romantic, but I quite like the idea of performance as a gift. As something that you offer without wanting anything back.

No comments:

Post a Comment