Tuesday 12 May 2009

Confessions....Sensitising The Body

I want to confess that my body has been in hiding.
I am a performer but I have been performing through others.
I'm neither proud nor ashamed of my actions.
The time has come to experience the live again.







These photographs are documentation of a series of experiments I developed in Brazil with American artist Julia Kouneski to re-sensitise our bodies to live our research physically as opposed to an engagement with text alone.... If my body has been in hiding as a performer, this feels like a crude start but one that finds it's root in the early psychotherapy of Brazilian artist Lygia Clark who developed sculptural objects that evolved into mediating tools for healing. She named it the relational object. It's relational quality was defined by it's direct placement on the body of the participant, so that subject and object were in direct contact with each other. Several people experienced a "dissolving" of the self into the object (I'm not sure what the object would say) but tactility (to return to Lia's choice of the word palpable) was given as much weight as the visual.

These palpable sensations were a crucial re-awakening of the hidden capacity of my body to perform. We are still left with the documentary evidence lacking the physical sensation of the live act.
Talking of the body, I must go for a foot x-ray... I need to know whether I have been walking for 6 weeks on a hairline fracture...



No comments:

Post a Comment